Sunday, June 3, 2007

Rule of thumb for survival…

In any survival class one thing they teach is, “stay put” if you find that you’re lost. I find that is also the case, most times, in our Christian journey.
The idea behind staying put when you realize your lost is so that rescuers have a better chance of finding you. Think of it this way: If an ordinary business card represents the size of the search area within the first few hours, then a search mounted several hours later could be represented by an area the size of a newspaper!
How does this parallel with our Christian journey? In the scriptures the phrase,”stand firm” is said 35 times. In Matthew it is stated, “but he who stands firm to the end will be saved”. And in Luke it is stated,” By standing firm you will gain life”. This seems really important to God. It seems to be relevant to our survival. It’s like He’s giving us a strategy to overcome life’s battles. When the enemy comes if we don’t stand firm, the ground that we’ve taken can be taken back from us. Again, I think it comes to the fact that it’s by God’s strength not ours and by His power not ours.
I can’t count how many times I felt Him telling me to wait, “stand firm Georgi”, but I didn’t listen. Instead I run ahead trying to find my way only to fall down the mountain side. I have learned in my 9 years in this journey not to take that path of certain death or injury, and be patient in waiting on the Lord for the next move. I’m not successful every time but more often, or at least I catch myself before falling down the mountain side. I just know God was sitting there saying, ‘wait Georgi, it’s dangerous. You don’t know the terrain like I do.” But in my immaturity and adolescence in the Lord I couldn’t hear or thought I could do it myself.
I say all this in part because it’s not a popular concept to not do anything, but if we would sit, process and stand firm more often, I would venture to say there would be less broken relationships including the one with ourselves.
Just a thought…